Health care is constantly changing, and at Banner Health, we are at the front of that change. We are leading health care to make the experience the best it can be. We want to change the lives of those in our care- and the people who choose to take on this challenge. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
This position provides direction, planning and supervision of food and clinical nutrition services, environmental services, and/or other support services including but not limited to volunteer services, multiple retail food/beverage units, catering services, linen, and transport services for the facility. Ensures the provision of efficient, high quality meal service, nutritional patient care, and environmental services to maintain a clean and safe medical center environment. This position may also develop, direct and supervise workforce that support both culinary and environmental services. Ensures the proper guidelines and protocols governing the use of chemicals and the disposal of waste products are enforced. Provides a key role in negotiation of cleaning supply and equipment contracts, and linen contract. The position provides strategic direction to ensure the department goals are consistent with organizational objectives.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner Ironwood Medical Center is committed to meeting the ever-changing needs of the southeast communities of metropolitan Phoenix. Our first patient tower has 47 beds, including eight LDR rooms and can accommodate up to 86 beds when fully equipped. We also feature a full service emergency department, four surgical suites and medical imaging services. With our 80-acre campus, more than 500 beds and supporting health services could be built on our site. This means an exceptional opportunity for you to establish a career where the potential for growth is limitless.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides direction, planning and supervision of food and clinical nutrition services, environmental services, and/or other support services including but not limited to volunteer services, multiple retail food/beverage units, catering services, linen, and transport services for the facility. Ensures the provision of efficient, high quality meal service, nutritional patient care, and environmental services to maintain a clean and safe medical center environment. This position may also develop, direct and supervise workforce that support both culinary and environmental services. Ensures the proper guidelines and protocols governing the use of chemicals and the disposal of waste products are enforced. Provides a key role in negotiation of cleaning supply and equipment contracts, and linen contract. The position provides strategic direction to ensure the department goals are consistent with organizational objectives.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides required leadership, planning, and direction to create and deliver high quality food, nutrition services, retail operations, and dietary care. Oversees menu planning and recipe development, food production, procurement and storage of food and nutritional supplies and equipment, patient food services, and patient dietary counseling.
2. Provides required leadership, planning, direction, and operation of the functions of environmental services to maintain a clean and safe facility ensuring compliance with infection control standards regarding the proper use of chemicals and the disposal of medical waste. Establishes goals and strategies for the Environmental Services Department and other departments, as applicable. Studies systems and processes to understand and make improvements. Seeks to benchmark outside the organization to find better approaches. Makes predictions of volume trends, staffing and technology needs as well as supply costs.
3. Plans and directs the implementation of information systems for the department. Works with organization and vendor resources to implement and manage systems for patient menus and ordering, the management of food production and forecasting, retail sales accounting and tracking, and patient dietary services.
4. Directs personnel actions including recruiting, new hire actions, interviewing and selection of new staff, salary determinations, training, and performance management. Supports staff training and development to motivate staff to provide highest level of service and to remain current on industry trends. Establishes and communicates team goals and provides feedback and recommendations for improvement. Creates cohesive teams committed to clinical, product and service quality.
5. Brings innovative and synergistic ideas into the workplace by evaluating new products, emerging trends and technologies, economic changes, and industry innovation. Participates in system-wide task forces and/or teams to assess and promote the use of common practices and economies.
6. Manages quality, safety and compliance for all facility food and nutrition services, and environmental services. Creates and administers measures and benchmarks for all required outcomes in product and service quality, regulatory compliance, customer satisfaction, safe work practices and employee engagement and satisfaction. Assures that all reporting staff maintain required food handling and professional certification.
7. Manages the department's financial performance. Forecasts and manages retail food and catering revenues. Develops and manages operational and capital budgets. Manages operating expenses and other key indicators within agreed upon parameters. Reconciles monthly operating expense budget variances. Assures the department is effectively and efficiently controlling budgeted manpower, materials, equipment, money and time. Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements. Promotes effective policies and procedures. Reports performance monitoring for expected time periods.
8. Leads teams and contributes to efforts in improving processes and customer satisfaction, reduce waste and promote system integration resulting in best value care.
9. Under the general supervision of facility senior leadership, this position is responsible for all aspects of patient food services and patient dietary care services; environmental services, and other support services, as assigned on a 24-hour basis. The position plans and provides systems to support customer needs and evaluate service levels. Position organizes, directs and modifies activities to ensure high quality, cost-effective, and efficient operations. The position develops budgets, goals, and objectives for the departments.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The essential functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
Requires a bachelor's degree in Nutrition and Food Service Management, or equivalent experience and training. Requires a level of nutrition and dietary knowledge as normally evidenced by certification as a Registered Dietitian.
Must have 5 or more years of broad experience in the management of both retail and patient food service, production and procurement, and experience in managing clinical nutrition services. Requires a comprehensive working knowledge of environmental services functions, including chemicals, tools, and equipment used for carpet and hard floor care. Must demonstrate effective leadership, organization, communication, and human relation skills to interact successfully with all levels of staff and outside contacts/vendors, including administration, physicians, vendors and regulatory agencies.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R5590
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.