Location: Suffern, New York
Hospitality, Facility, Environmental Support
The Transporter is responsible for the safe, timely and accurate transport of patients, medical equipment and patient-related items to their destinations enabling physicians, nurses, technicians, and therapists to perform their duties in an effective manner. Ensures positive patient and customer satisfaction, proper utilization of body mechanics, adherence to policies, procedures and standards established by Hospital, Department and Regulatory Agencies.
- Responds to transport requests with a sense of urgency, meeting time delivery goals.
- Ensures patient safety by following established procedures and using only approved rolling equipment.
- Ensures proper transport of patients with specific needs, for example: those requiring oxygen tanks, cardiac cath patients, young children or elderly patients, IV's, drainage tubes, etc.
- Transports patients between departments and to and from patient care areas via wheelchair, stretcher, bed and other transport equipment, or ambulation as requested.
- Maintains patient's information during transport and ensures confidentiality of patient information at all times.
- Collects and returns wheelchairs, stretchers, beds and various equipment to their proper locations.
- Disinfects and cleans transport equipment before, after each patient use, and as required.
- Maintains equipment and reports equipment needing repairs.
- Follows hospital department protocols for checking in patients and verifying their identity and following specific precautions identified.
- Ensures comfort of the patient in all cases.
- Alerts caregivers immediately to any signs of patient distress or equipment malfunction.
- Assists hospital staff when needed in moving patients.
- Works closely with hospital staff and openly communicates, problem solves to ensure client and patient needs are met.
- Considers needs of family members and visitors of patients when necessary.
- Meets all performance related standards including response, active and completion times.
- Ensures timely response to all patient and patient-related transportation requests and logs into dispatching system immediately in accordance with established guidelines/protocols.
- Adheres to all policies, procedures and standards established by all regulatory agencies including but not limited to Federal, State, TJC, OSHA, and CDC.
- Maintains a patient/customer focus fostering a teamwork environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Reading, speaking, communicating, and comprehending the English language required. Required to stand, walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area's leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children's Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.